This delicious Keto Mongolian Beef Recipe is inspired by PF Changs Mongolian Beef. It is one of my favorites and I made it Keto Friendly.
The original Mongolian Beef recipe from PF Changs contains corn starch that is extremely high in carbs because of the added sugar.
It seems like it would be low carb because it is only beef and green onions But, according to the PF Changes website the dish has 39 carbs and 32 gram of sugar.
I have definitely ordered and eaten this dish at PF Changs and thought that I was making a great choice for the keto diet because all the foods were low carb. Who knew how wrong I was? Now I know and will be making better choices from now on.
For this homemade Mongolian beef recipe, we used an alternative sweetener instead of sugar, reduced the soy sauce, and skipped the thickening corn starch.
I considered adding some xantham gum to the dish to help thickening the sauce. As I was making it for the second time, I realized I can skip it and reduce the carbs even further.
How many Carbs in this Keto Mongolian Beef Recipe?
This Keto Friendly Mongolian Beef has only 3 carbs per serving and 1 gram of fiber. That makes the net carbs only 2 per serving and 8 for the entire thing.
This is a great recipe is that is sugar free and gluten free when you use gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos.
Better Than Take Out Keto Recipes
We really enjoy making Keto take out dishes at home. Since they don’t have all the additional carbs, you can eat them with without guilt and get some ‘better than take out” keto at home.
Here are some more of the recipes we have created that are Keto Chinese food at home. They are American Asian Inspired.
- BANG BANG Cauliflower Recipe
- Low Carb Grilled Green Onions Recipe
- KETO Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe – Sugar Free
- Keto GROUND BEEF and Broccoli Recipe
Keto Mongolian Beef Recipe
Here are the ingredients for making this easy one pot Mongolian beef recipe. You can get the exact measurements in the printable recipe card below.
Meat – For this recipe, you can use thin sliced flank steak or ground beef. Traditionally, it is made with flank steak, but I also really love the flavors in ground beef. You can make it with any cut of meat that you have in the house.
Spices – The main spices in Mongolian beef are garlic and ginger. You can use fresh minced ginger and fresh minced or grated garlic. If you don’t have fresh garlic, you can use powdered garlic. One tablespoon equals three-fourths of a teaspoon of garlic powder.
If you want to spice up the dish, you can also use red pepper flakes.
Sauces – We used soy sauce in this recipe. You can use coconut aminos if you are concerned about eating soy. Both liquid aminos and soy sauce are keto friendly.
Some recipes call for Worcestershire sauce. That is not as keto friendly since it contains sugar.
Vegetables – The PF Changs version only has Green Onions. I have also seen it served over a bed of broccoli which would be fine on the keto diet.
Oils – I like using Avocado oil or light olive oil for cooking this dish. Then, I add the sesame oil at the end to add flavor. If you do not have sesame oil, you can use avocado oil or light olive oil at the end to add some more moisture and flavor as a finishing touch.
Water – This helps the sauce mix better. If you are pressed for time, you can reduce the amount of water included in the recipe.
We decided to use the new Brown Swerve which works really well for baking on the Keto diet. It is gluten free and has zero net carbs.
Brown Swerve is sweet and delicious. It is a natural brown sugar replacement that does not have the bitter aftertaste associated with other sweeteners like stevia and monkfruit.
All you have to do is measure it like brown sugar. If a recipe calls for a cup of brown sugar; simply replace with a cup of Swerve.
You can xanthan gum to thicken up the sauce. It is not necessary if you take the time to let the sauce reduce and simmer down to a syrup consistence.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This blog contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to Cut the Green Onions?
Start by clean the green onions thoroughly and remove any slimy bits.
Cut off the white part and some of the light green part of the green onions. You can set these aside for growing your own green onions later.
Cut the remained part of the green onions into 3 pieces. We are going to use all of this closer to the end of the recipe.
Tools & Supplies
- Wok or High Sided Large Saute Pan
- Herb Cutting Sheers
- Steak Knives
- Wooden Spoon
- Slotted Spoon
Here are some of my favorite KETO Kitchen Tools and Gadgets that you have to check out!
How to Make Mongolian Beef?
Start the cooking by heating a pan or wok on medium heat with the avocado oil.
Then, add the grated ginger and grated garlic. Saute’ until flagrant. If you are using garlic powder and ginger powder, skip this step.
Next, add the soy sauce and water into the pan. Increase to medium high until it comes to a boil.
Let boil for 1 minute and lower the heat to medium.
Reduce the sauce by half to thicken it,.
Then, add the beef to the pan making sure to break it up as you brown it.
Take the time to brown the Brown the beef until most of it is broken up and browned.
Then, add in the green onions and let them saute for 1 minute.
Remove the dish from the pan with a slotted spoon.
Finally, add the sesame oil and mix to coat the beef and green onions.
Plate the beef and garnish with sesame seeds. You can serve on top of fried rice like this Asian Cauliflower Rice.
Keto Mongolian Beef Recipe
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp garlic grated
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup brown swerve
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 5 Green Onions
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- Clean the green onions thorouly and remove any slimy bits.
- Cut off the white part and some of the light green part of the green onions. You can set these aside for growing your own green onions later.
- Cut the remained part of the green onions into 3 pieces. We are going to use all of this closer to the end of the recipe.
- How to Make Mongolian Beef?
- Start the cooking by heating a pan or wok on medium heat with the 1 teaspoon of avocado oil.
- Then, add the grated ginger and grated garlic. Saute’ until flagrant.
- Necxt, add the soy sauce and water into the pan. Increase to medium high until it comes to a boil.
- Remove the sauce mixture from the pan.
- Then, add 1 tsp of avocado oil to the pan.
- Add the ground beef to the pan making sure to break it up as you brown it.
- Brown the beef until most is broken up and browned.
- Then, add the sauce back into to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the beef with a slotted spoon leaving most of the liquid behind.
- Then, add in the green onions and let them saute. Remove them and add to the beef at they get flat. This happens really quickly. Some of the dark green ends flatten in less than a minute.
- There should only a few unflattened pieces that were the more dense light green onions. Reduce the sauce by half to thicken it with the few light green onions.
- Pour the reduced sauce on top of the beef.
- Finally, add the sesame oil and mix to coat the beef and green onions.
- Plate the beef and garnish with sesame seeds.