This yummy Keto Shepherd’s Pie is a great low carb dinner choice that the whole family will love. Bonus, it is filled with veggies!
Shepherd’s Pie is one of the best Irish dishes around. It is the ultimate Keto comfort food. My husband and daughter are both Irish and I love making Irish foods to bring some tradition from his side of the family.
The carb counts are extremely low because because we swap out higher carb mashed potatoes for low carb keto friendly cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Shepherd’s Pie is similar to Cottage Pie. It was born out of an all too familiar struggle to get families to eat leftover and vegetables. This is the story of my life to be honest. My family only likes to eat meat and I try to add vegetables into their meals where ever I can.
Shepherd’s Pie first came about late in the 1700s and early 1800s. Recipes vary widely, but have the same basic structure with mashed potatoes on top and minced meat like ground lamb on the bottom. We used ground beef in this recipe rather than minced meat or ground lamb.
Ground beef is a simple inexpensive choice for the Keto Diet. Here are some more ground beef recipe for you to try out!
- Keto GROUND BEEF and Broccoli Recipe
- Meatloaf Muffins Recipe
- Keto Mongolian Beef
- Cheesy KETO Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Meatloaf Recipe – Stuffed with Broccoli & Cheese
- Keto Bunless Burger
- Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe with Bacon
- Addicting Keto Nachos – The Best Low Carb Nachos Ever!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This blog contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Low Carb KETO Shepherd’s Pie
Here are the ingredients you will need to make a low carb version of Shepherd’s Pie.
- Carrots – I did not skip the carrots in this recipe even though they have some carbs in this yummy vegetable. I just kept the carrots minimal and skipped the traditional peas that go along with carrots all too often.
- Ground Beef – Traditionally, Shepherd’s Pie is made with minced mutton or lamb. We used ground beef instead since it is a meat that we always have in the fridge. You can also swap the ground beef for ground turkey or ground chicken or any minced meat you have left over.
- Onions – I chose to keep the onions in the Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie because they add much needed flavor and nutrients. They have the vitamin Bs, K, and C. If you have access to shallots, the pack even more of a nutritional punch than yellow or red onions.
- Butter – The butter adds some yummy fat and flavor to the meat in the Shepherd’s Pie.
- Salt & Pepper – Of course, ever dish needs a little salt & pepper to taste.
- Cauliflower – For this recipe, we used a full head of cauliflower to make the mashed potatoes.
- Parmesan Cheese – The cauliflower mashed potatoes is perfect with a hefty helping of parmesan cheese. Romano cheese also works too. It gives the pie a nice cheese melty-ness that makes your forget you are eating cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.
- Garlic – You can dice or slice your garlic as your like. The smaller the bits of garlic the more dispersed the flavor will be.
- Worcestershire Sauce – To add flavor quickly, you can add Worcestershire Sauce. It is a low carb choice that allows you to add a ton of flavor without using the spice rack.
Making Shepherd’s Pie with Left Overs
In early cook books, Shepherds pie was a way to use leftover roasted meat of any kind.
To make Shepherd’s Pie as a way to reuse meat from other recipes, all you have to do is mix left over meat and add any cooked veggies you have on hand. Line your pie plate with the meat. Then, top the meat with mashed cauliflower.
You can make your own Cauliflower mashed potatoes or buy it pre-made in a bag from the grocery store. Here is the recipe I use to make cauliflower mashed potatoes in the pressure cooker.
Finally, add your leftover shepherd’s pie in the oven at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Tools & Supplies
- Pie Plate
- Large Skillet
- Slotted Spoon
- Pie Cutter
- Pressure Cooker (if you have one)
What Dish to Use for Shepherd’s Pie?
This is the pie dish I use to make Shepherd’s Pie. It is oven safe up to 450 degrees F and makes the pie look like a real pie with it’s ruffled edge.
We also have small versions of the pie plates that are also rated to be put in the oven up to 450 degrees F.
You can make personal pies with these cute dishes. I love doing this because it cuts down on the amount of plates you use since you are baking in the plates your family will eating out of.
How to Make Shepherd’s Pie?
Start by dicing the onions and carrots.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add one tablespoon of the butter.
Add the diced carrots and onions.
Saute until the onions are translucent.
Dice the garlic while the onions and carrots cook.
Then, add the diced garlic, salt & pepper, and ground beef along with the remainder of the butter.
Break up the beef and brown it.
Then, add the beef and veggies to the bottom of the pie dish.
Add the cauliflower mashed potatoes to the top of the dish.
How to Make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes?
You can make cauliflower mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot pretty quickly with these instructions.
If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can make the cauliflower mashed potatoes for the topping of the Shepherds Pie, then you can steam or boil cauliflower and garlic until they are soft. Then, drain the cauliflower. Next, add the parmesan cheese with salt and pepper. Mash the caulfilower and ingredient together.
If you have an instant pot or pressure cooker, you can use these instructions.
Start by making your own vegetable broth with saved extra veggie cuttings from the freezer or use the green part of the head of cauliflower or use store bought vegetable broth.
Put the instant pot on soup for 25 minutes with the 4 cups of water and the frozen cuttings or the green part of the head of cauliflower.
Once the steam release naturally, strain the veggies and keep the veggie broth.
Put the veggie broth into the instant pot again and add in the cauliflower head.
Put the instant pot on rice for 2 minutes on low pressure.
Let the instant pot vent naturally.
Drain the cauliflower saving the broth for later use in another recipe.
In a food processor, dice 1 garlic clove.
Once the garlic is chopped up into tiny bits, place the cooked cauliflower, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 6 ounces of shredded Parmesan cheese.
Garnish with chopped chives.
Keto Meal Plan
Here are some more awesome recipe for you while you are on the Keto Diet.
- Breakfast – Tik Tok Egg Sandwich
- Lunch – Low Carb KETO Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Dessert – Edible Low Carb KETO Cookie Dough Recipe
- 1/2 Cup Onion
- 1/2 Cup Carrots
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 Clove Garlic
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- Start by dicing the onions and carrots.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add one tablespoon of the butter.
- Add the diced carrots and onions.
- Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Dice the garlic while the onions and carrots cook.
- Then, add the diced garlic, salt & pepper, and ground beef along with the remainder of the butter.
- Break up the beef and brown it.
- Then, add the beef and veggies to the bottom of the pie dish.
- Add the cauliflower mashed potatoes to the top of the dish.
How to Make Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes?
- Start by making your own vegetable broth with saved extra veggie cuttings from the freezer or use the green part of the head of cauliflower or use store bought vegetable broth.
- Put the instant pot on soup for 25 minutes with the 4 cups of water and the frozen cuttings or the green part of the head of cauliflower.
- Once the steam release naturally, strain the veggies and keep the veggie broth.
- Put the veggie broth into the instant pot again and add in the cauliflower head.
- Put the instant pot on rice for 2 minutes on low pressure.
- Let the instant pot vent naturally.
- Drain the cauliflower saving the broth for later use in another recipe.
- In a food processor, dice 1 garlic clove.
- Once the garlic is chopped up into tiny bits, place the cooked cauliflower, 3 tablespoons of butter, 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 6 ounces of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 slices Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 259Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 69mgSodium 354mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 20g