This Keto Cucumber Salad is the perfect low carb lunch or side dish. It is delicious and refreshing for a hot summer day.
When you are on a low carb diet, I know you can forget to eat your veggies. This is a great way to get some healthy veggies into your diet.
The first question I know you are asking is whether cucumbers are low carb. Let’s get that answered right off the bat.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure that bookmark our Keto Recipes because we add new ones every week.
- This is a great Keto Recipe book to grab now!
- Take your Keto cooking up a notch with these KETO Kitchen Tools and Gadgets.
Are Cucumbers Low Carb?
Cucumbers are pretty low carb with only 3 net carbs per 1 cup of cucumbers sliced. Normally, a medium cucumber will give you about 1 1/2 cups of sliced cucumber.
The 3 net carbs come from 4 grams of carbs and 1 gram of fiber. You can check out the nutritional information in the recipe card below.
This spring and summer cucumber salad is a perfect addition to grilling outdoors. You can pair it with grilled chicken, Keto wraps, hamburgers and hot dogs.
Keto Cucumber Salad Recipe
This low carb cucumber salad is marinaded with apple cider vinegar making a delicious and nutritious side salad perfect of the Keto diet. It is gluten free and and dairy free too.
It reminds me to the Asian pickles that are served as appetizer at Japanese restaurants. They are sometimes called Japanese pickles.
Here are some of the ingredients for this low carb cucumber recipe. The full measurements are in the recipe card below. You can print the recipe or save it as a PDF to help you at home for shopping and to cooking in the kitchen.
- Kosher Salt
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Sesame Seeds
- Brown Sugar Swerve
- Salt & Pepper
English Cucumber versus Slicing Cucumbers
We love using English Cucumbers over the smaller slicing cucumbers because they do not need to be deseeded and peeled to cut down on the bitter flavor.
English cucumbers are not as bitter as the slicing cucumbers.
I made the mistake thinking that all cucumbers are created equal and paid for it when I did not peel and deseed the slicing cucumber. It causes serious gas if you do not deseed and peel the slicing cucumber.
You can tell the difference between the English cucumber and the slicing cucumber in the grocery store by their length and packaging.
English cucumber are usually sold wrapped in tight plastic to protect their skin.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. This blog contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Additional Ingredient Ideas
You can make this summer salad with red onions or green onions to make a cucumber and onions salad. Green onions are more low carb than red onions.
Tools & Supplies
- Mandolin (here is our favorite – be careful with the manolin as it is sharp. You could get kevlar gloves to help protect you) or a serrated knife
- Colander or Strainer (we like this colander because you can crush it flat and you can pull out the arms to hang it over the sink)
- Kitchen Towels
Here are some of my favorite KETO Kitchen Tools and Gadgets that you have to check out!
Cucumbers are mostly made of water. By salting them, you draw out excess water before tossing with the dressing.
Start by thinly slicing the cucumbers thin using a knife or a mandolin if you have it.
Add the cucumbers slices to a collander.
Sprinkle sea salt or kosher salt on to the cucumbers.
Toss the cucumber with the salt.
Then, allow the water to drip over the sink or on a towel.
Let the cucumbers sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
Rinse the cucumbers with cold water. This helps get rid of the excess salt.
Squeeze them dry using a kitchen towel.
How to Make Keto Cucumber Salad?
In a mixing bowl, add apple cider vinegar and brown sugar Swerve. Whisk until combined.
Toss the cucumbers in the vinegar mixture.
Sprinkle the cucumbers with sesame seeds.
Taste the cucumber and season with salt and pepper as needed. There might be some residual salt left over and you might not need to add any.
Then, put the cucumber salad in the refrigerator for an hour or so.*
*You can skip this time if you want to eat it right away. The fridge time helps the vinegar seep into the cucumbers.
Keto Asian Inspired Recipe
Here are some more keto recipes to check out:
- KETO Fried Rice
- Low Carb Cashew Chicken
- Easy KETO Egg Rolls in a Bowl
- BANG BANG Cauliflower Recipe
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
Keto Cucumber Salad
- 1 1/2 cup Cucumber
- 1 tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Brown Sugar – Swerve
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Start by thinly slicing the cucumbers thin using a knife or a mandolin if you have it.
- Add the cucumbers slices to a collander.
- Sprinkle sea salt or kosher salt on to the cucumbers.
- Toss the cucumber with the salt.
- Then, allow the water to drip over the sink or on a towel.
- Let the cucumbers sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Rinse the cucumbers with cold water. This helps get rid of the excess salt.
- Squeeze them dry using a kitchen towel.
- How to Make Keto Cucumber Salad?
- In a mixing bowl, add apple cider vinegar and brown sugar Swerve. Whisk until combined.
- Toss the cucumbers in the vinegar mixture.
- Sprinkle the cucumbers with sesame seeds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Then, put the cucumber salad in the refrigerator for an hour or so. You can skip this time if you want to eat it right away. The fridge time helps the vinegar seep into the cucumbers.